Always wondered how to create art with coffee? See hoe Elaine Solms creates a coffee wreath and follow the steps below.
What you need:
- 300gsm cold-pressed watercolour paper (Mont Marte)
- Compass (Maped)
- Scissors (Maped)
- Watercolour brushes (round & flat of various sizes) (Mont Marte & Pro-Art)
- Container of clean water (for rinsing)
- Instant coffee (any)
- Warm water
- HB pencil (Faber Castell goldfaber)
- Artist fixative (Pro-Art artist fixative – Matt Finish)
- Paint pallet, or containers to mix the coffee in
- Metallic watercolour paint (Fine Tec)
Use a few spoons of instant coffee, and add some hot water, dilute properly. Test the consistency and colour by applying the coffee onto a piece of paper. You can now add more water if the colour is too strong or add some instant coffee if the colour is too weak. Continue until you are happy with the result.
- Using a compass and an HB pencil, draw a circle on 300gsm Watercolour paper. Cut out the circle.
- Use any brush and coat the bottom of a coffee mug with the coffee “paint”. Press the mug down in the centre of the paper and lift.
- Use a brush to drip coffee on the top of the page & let it run down to the bottom, creating a dripping effect. You can add as many of the drips as you would like.
- Add different organic designs around your coffee circle, using a nr.2 round pointed brush. Use different leaf and floral designs to your preference.
- When you have finished your designs with the coffee art, use any brush to splatter coffee onto the paper.
- Use Metallic watercolour paint and a nr. 2 round brush to add some subtle golden details to your artwork.
- Leave the artwork to dry.
- Spray with Artist fixative to set the artwork.
Follow Elaine on:
Facebook: Elaine Solms Art